eCommerce Programme for IT Professionals
Electronic Commerce (eCommerce, or EC) has been a major global trend and a critical factor in competitiveness. Demand for man-power with expertise in eCommerce is very strong. The MSc in Electronic Commerce is positioned to meet such demand from industry.
The programme is jointly offered by the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Information Systems at City University of Hong Kong for IT professionals. It is inter-disciplinary in that students will acquire adequate capabilities in the technological, business and legal aspects of eCommerce, enabling them to evaluate, build and deploy eCommerce services and systems effectively.
The programme aims to equip students with the skills necessary to become IT professionals that are competent in evaluating and developing eCommerce systems and services within a business context. Students will gain knowledge and skills in core business and technical related subjects, together with an in-depth understanding of the specific managerial, regulatory, and technical issues involved in the exploitation of eCommerce. Students will also acquire the necessary knowledge and skill to analyze, plan, design, develop, and maintain eCommerce systems.
On completion of the programme, students should have attained skills and competencies in the following areas:
- Understanding of the technologies underpinning the implementation of eCommerce systems;
- Ability to help evaluate and develop electronic commerce opportunities for business;
- Competence in evaluating and using software and security methodologies and tools in support of electronic commerce operations;
- Knowledge and skills to construct a variety of electronic commerce systems in support of service and business goals;
- Skills in the use of software technology to support accounting, marketing and analysis of electronic commerce operations; and
- Understanding of the legal environment surrounding eCommerce, as well as changes in traditional marketing brought about by eCommerce.