- Programmes Overview
- BSc in Computer Science
- Double Degree Programme
- Joint Bachelor's Degree Program
- Minor in Computing
- MSc in Computer Science
- MSc in Electronic Commerce
- PGC in Information Security
- Master of Philosophy / Doctor of Philosophy
- Student Exchange
- CS Course List
- Alumni Sharing
The Computer Science major aims to provide students with a thorough grounding in the theoretical and practical aspects of the computer science discipline necessary for successful careers as system designers in the continually developing information technology environment. The major enables students to develop a strong foundation in the discipline as well as specialization in a particular area through a flexible curriculum. Through a wide range of electives, students keep pace with the latest trends in computing technology. Furthermore, the curriculum devotes one year to a supervised work experience to help students integrate and practise principles and techniques learned in the classroom and develop the necessary maturity and soft skills essential for a successful career in information technology.
The education objectives of the major to produce graduates who possess:
- A sound technical foundation in computer science and the ability to creatively apply computer and related technologies to practical problems
- Communication and soft skills to function as an effective professional
- Knowledge in specialized areas with awareness of broad multi-disciplinary issues, and the ability to continue personal development to keep pace with advances in computer technology
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this Major, students should be able to:
- apply relevant mathematics and engineering methods to computing;
- use computer programming for problem solving;
- identify problems, analyze requirements and formulate design to meet realistic constraints, such as costs, operational, social, cultural, ethical, health and safety;
- use software engineering methods and tools for developing and implementing quality software solutions;
- communicate and use language effectively;
- manage projects effectively and independently;
- apply specialized knowledge in selected area(s) of Computer Science;
- reflect on the ethical and social responsibilities required of professional citizens in a global society;
- stay abreast of contemporary issues in computing and recognize the need for, and able to engage in life-long learning;
- collaborate and function effectively in team work situations including multi-disciplinary team;
- function effectively in an industrial environment and apply learned skills to real-world problems;
- acquire inquisitive attitude and skill to enable creating an original discovery or design related to computing.
Special Feature: the Mandatory IT Professional Placement Program
After completing two years of full-time study, Students will take the year-long IT Professional Placement (ITPP) course in the third year, where they can integrate and apply knowledge learned in the classroom to real-world environments. Participating companies include international computer vendors such as IBM, Hewlett-Packard HK SAR Ltd; banks such as HSBC and the Bank of East Asia Limited; the Hong Kong SAR Government and affiliated organizations such as the Office of the Government Chief Information Officer, the Hospital Authority, and the Housing Authority; as well as major local enterprises including the Hongkong Electric Co, Hong Kong Disneyland, the Hong Kong Jockey Club and Thomson Reuters HK. During the placement year, students will take one day off weekly from their work to complete a number of courses.
For details, please visit the IT Professional Placement web site.
This programme is the first computer science programme in Hong Kong accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
Graduates of this major will have good employment opportunities in the field of information technology. They will be equipped for jobs which involve state-of-the-art technology and design and construction of large software systems. The provision of study streams allows students to pursue specializations in state-of-the-art technology such as data science, cloud computing and mobile applications, further enhancing their career prospect in these areas.
For students who desire to pursue postgraduate studies or a career in research and development, there are many opportunities to pursue undergraduate research through a number of different channels ranging from the Research Mentoring Scheme, guided studies and the final year project to overseas research internship opportunities. The demonstrated ability of students to innovate is a key factor in the success of our students in gaining admission to top tier postgraduate programs.