Dr. Antoni Chan is an assistant professor at the City University of Hong Kong in
the Department of Computer Science.
Before joining CityU, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at
the University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego).
He received the Ph.D. degree from UC San Diego in 2008 studying in the
Statistical and Visual Computing Lab (SVCL).
He received the B.Sc. and M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University in 2000 and 2001.
From 2001 to 2003, he was a Visiting Scientist in the Computer Vision and Image Analysis lab at Cornell.
In 2005, he was a summer intern at Google in New York City.
In 2012, he was the recipient of an Early Career Award from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong SAR, China.
Research Interests [more]
Computer Vision, Surveillance, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Computer Audition, Music Information Retrieval
motion segmentation, motion analysis,
semantic image annotation, image retrieval,
probabilistic graphical models, support vector machines,
Bayesian regression, Gaussian processes,
semantic music annotation and retrieval,
music segmentation, feature extraction.
For more information about my current research projects, please visit my lab website.
[Dec 15, 2013]
Conference paper "Objective Measures of IS Usage Behavior Under Conditions of Experience and Pressure Using Eye Fixation Data", by A. Eckhardt, C. Maier, JJ Hsieh, T. Chuk, A. B. Chan, J. H. Hsiao, and R. Buettner presented to ICIS 2013 as a talk.
[Sep 13, 2013]
Ying Cao receives the "Research Tuition Scholarship" (School of Graduate Studies). Congratulations!
[Aug 28, 2013]
Adeel Mumtaz and Ying Cao receive the "Outstanding Academic Performance Award for Research Degree Students" from the School of Graduate Studies. Congratulations!
[Apr 08, 2013]
Conference paper "That was fast! Speeding up NN search of high dimensional distributions", by
Emanuele Coviello, Adeel Mumtaz, Antoni B. Chan, and Gert R.G. Lanckriet,
accepted to ICML 2013.
- Opportunities for graduate students and research assistants! If you are interested in joining the lab, please check this information.
Selected Publications [more]
Clustering Dynamic Textures with the Hierarchical EM Algorithm for Modeling Video,
A. Mumtaz, E. Coviello, G. R. G. Lanckriet, and A. B. Chan,IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI),
vol. 35(7), pp. 1606-21,
Counting People with Low-Level Features and Bayesian Regression,
A.B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos,IEEE Trans. on Image Processing (TIP),
vol. 21(4), pp 2160-77,
Generalized Gaussian Process Models,
A. B. Chan and D. Dong,
IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR),
Layered dynamic textures,
A. B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos,IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence: Special Issue on Probabilistic Graphical Models in Computer Vision (TPAMI),
Vol. 31(10), pp. 1862-1879,
Modeling, clustering, and segmenting video with mixtures of dynamic textures,
A. B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos,IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI),
Vol. 30(5), pp. 909-926,
Modeling music as a dynamic texture,
L. Barrington, A. B. Chan, and G. R. G. Lanckriet,IEEE Trans. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (TASLP),
vol. 18 (3), pp. 602-612,
Supervised learning of semantic classes for image annotation and retrieval,
G. Carneiro, A.B. Chan, P.J. Moreno, and N. Vasconcelos,IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI),
Vol. 29(3), pp. 394-410,
Google Scholar |
Microsoft Academic Search
- CS 5487 (A) - Machine learning -- 2012/13, 2013/14.
- CS 5301 (A) - Computer Programming -- 2012/13, 2013/14.
- CS 2363 (A) - Computer Programming -- 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12.
- CS 3306 (B) - Contemporary Programming Methods in Java -- 2009/10.
- CS 4380 (B) - Web 2.0 Technologies -- 2010/11, 2011/12.
- GE 1319 - Interdisciplinary Research for Smart Professionals.
- Final Year Projects
- Research Mentoring Scheme
Awards and Honors
- Early Career Award, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, 2012.
- NSF IGERT Fellowship: Vision and Learning in Humans and Machines, UCSD, 2006-07.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, ECE Department, UCSD, 2005-06.
- Office of the President Award, UCSD, 2003.
- Henry G. White Scholorship, Cornell University, 2001.
- Knauss M. Engineering Scholorship, Cornell University, 2001.
- GTE Fellowship, Cornell University, 2001.
Dr. Antoni Chan,
Department of Computer Science,
City University of Hong Kong,
Tat Chee Avenue,
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong.