Chong-Wah Ngo received his Ph.D in Computer Science from the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST). He received his MSc and BSc, both in Computer Engineering, from Nanyang Technological University of Singapore. His research interests are in multimedia search and computing. He has been serving the technical program committees of numerous multimedia and information retrieval conferences including ACM Multimedia (MM), ACM SIGIR, International Conf. on Image and Video Retrieval (CIVR) and International Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (ICME). In addition, he is an Associate Editor of IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, and is on the editorial board of Journal of Multimedia Data Engineering and Management, and Journal of Advances in Multimedia. He is the program track co-chair of ICME 2011, program co-chair of ACM ICIMCS 2011, ACM MMM 2012 and ACM ICMR 2012. He is founding leader of VIREO (VIdeo REtrieval grOup). He also served as the chairman of ACM (Hong Kong Chapter) during 2008 and 2009.
Before joining CityU, he was a PhD student under the supervision of Prof. T. C. Pong and Prof Roland Chin in HKUST. He joined the research group ofProf Thomas Huang in Beckman Institute as a post-doctoral visitor for a collaborative project between UIUC and HKUST during 2001. He also worked at Information Technology Institute (ITI) of Singapore in 1996, and as summer intern at Microsoft Research Asia in 1999.
He was born in Malaysia (Visit Malaysia and then you will find the smile of people and the smile of nature!). His hometown is at Pekan Nanas (a perfectly peaceful town), Pontian (the southest county in Asia mainland), Johor, Malaysia. He studied in Yu Ming (I) and Foon Yew High School during primary and secondary school time.
Feng Wang, Chong-Wah Ngo: Summarizing Rushes Videos by Motion, Object, and Event Understanding. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 14(1): 76-87 (2012)
- F. Wang, C. W. Ngo, “Summarizing Rushes Videos by Motion, Object and Event Understanding,”
IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, 2011.
X. Y. Wei, Y. G. Jiang and C. W. Ngo, “Concept-Driven Multi-Modality Fusion for Video Search,”
IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Jan 2011.
- J. Cao, C. W. Ngo, Y. D. Zhang, J. T. Li, “Tracking Web Video Topics: Discovery, Visualization and
Monitoring,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2011.
- Y. G. Jiang, J. Yang, C. W. Ngo and A. G. Hauptmann, “Representation of Keypoint-based Semantic
Concept Detection: A Comprehensive Study,” IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, vol. 12, 2010.
- W. Zhao, C. W. Ngo, “Scale-Rotation Invariant Pattern Entropy for Keypoint-based Near-Duplicate
Detection,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol. 18, no. 2, 2009.
- X. Wu, C. W. Ngo, A. G. Hauptmann, H. K. Tan, “Real-Time Near-Duplicate Elimination for Web
Video Search with Content and Context,” IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, vol. 11, no. 2, 2009.
- W. Zhao, C. W. Ngo, H. K. Tan and X. Wu, “Near-duplicate Keyframe Identification with Interest
Point Matching and Pattern Learning,” IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1037-1048, Aug
- Y. X. Peng, C. W. Ngo, “Clip-based Similarity Measure for Query-Dependent Clip Retrieval and
Summarization,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 612-
627, May 2006.
- C. W. Ngo, Y. F. Ma & H. J. Zhang, “Video Summarization and Scene Detection by Graph
Modeling,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 296-305,
- C. W. Ngo, T. C. Pong and H. J. Zhang, “On Clustering and Retrieval of Video Shots Through
Temporal Slices Analysis”, IEEE Trans. On Multimedia, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 446-459, Dec 2002.
Changsheng Xu, Ralf Steinmetz, Abdulmotaleb El-Saddik, Chong-Wah Ngo, Xiao Wu: ICIMCS 2011, The Third International Conference on Internet Multimedia Computing and Service, Chengdu, China, August 5-7, 2011 ACM 2011
- Shiai Zhu, Chong-Wah Ngo, Yu-Gang Jiang: On the pooling of positive examples with ontology for visual concept learning. ACM Multimedia 2011: 1045-1048
- S. Tan, C. W. Ngo, H. K. Tan, L. Pang, “Cross Media Hyperlinking for Search Topic Browsing”,
ACM Multimedia (MM'11), 2011.
- H. K. Tan, C. W. Ngo, R. Hong and T. S. Chua, “Scalable Detection of Partial Near-Duplicate Videos
by Visual-Temporal Consistency”, ACM Multimedia (MM'09), 2009.
- Y. J. Jiang, C. W. Ngo, S. F. Chang, “Semantic Context Transfer Across Heterogeneous Sources for
Domain Adaptive Video Search”, ACM Multimedia (MM'09), 2009.
- Y. G. Jiang, J. Wang, S. F. Chang and C. W. Ngo, “Domain Adaptive Semantic Diffusion for Large
Scale Context-based Video Annotation”, Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV'09), 2009.
- F. Wang, Y. G. Jiang, C. W. Ngo, “Video Event Detection Using Motion Relativity and Visual
Relatedness”, ACM Multimedia (MM'08), 2008.
- X. Y. Wei, C. W. Ngo, “Ontology-Enriched Semantic Space for Video Search”, ACM Multimedia
- X. Wu, A. G. Hauptmann and C. W. Ngo, “Practical Elimination of Near-Duplicates from Web Video
Search”, ACM Multimedia (MM'07), 2007.
- Y. G. Jiang, C. W. Ngo, J. Yang, “Towards Optimal Bag-of-Features for Object Categorization and
Semantic Video Retrieval”, International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval (CIVR), 2007.
- J. Yang, Y. G. Jiang, A. G. Hauptmann and C. W. Ngo, “Evaluating Bag-of-Visual-Words
Representations in Scene Classification”, ACM SIGMM Int'l Workshop on Multimedia Information
Retrieval (MIR'07), Augsburg, Germany, 2007.
- C. W. Ngo, W. Zhao and Y. G. Jiang, “Fast Tracking of Near-duplicate Keyframes in Broadcast
Domain with Transitivity Propagation,” ACM Multimedia (MM’06), 2006.