FAQ for Non-local Students


Can I study part-time?
All non-local students must register for full-time study, that is, they must take at least 12 credit units per semester. Registration during the summer term is not mandatory, though many non-local students take 1-2 courses in the summer term to ensure they can graduate within one calendar year.

Will the University provide housing?
Students enrolling in a self-financed programme, including MScCS, are not eligible for University hostels that are subsidized by the Hong Kong Government. Off-campus affordable housing can be found in various residential neighborhoods close to the University, which is conveniently located right next to a major transportation hub. Visit the Student Residence Office's website for assistance and more information on searching for off-campus accommodation.

What are my prospects of getting a job in Hong Kong after graduation?
The MSCS programme strikes a careful balance between theory and practice. It significantly enhances the skills of its graduates. In fact, almost all MScCS graduates in the past have either found local employment opportunities or progressed for further research studies right after graduation.

Is it possible to obtain credit transfer for courses previously taken in institutions outside Hong Kong?
Yes. Credit transfer is considered on a case by case basis by the relevant experts in the department. The determining factors include the teaching and assessment mode, pattern, duration and subject content of the course as well as the grade or level achieved by the student. Students are advised to apply for credit transfer before the first semester of their study in the programme so that they can plan their study schedules taking into consideration whether credit transfer approvals are obtained or not.